Hebrew Publishing Company

The Hebrew Publishing Company was founded in 1900 by Joseph Werbelowsky (1884-1919). Occupying a former bank building on Delancey Street in Manhattan’s Lower East Side until the mid 1970s, the company remained owned by the Werbelowsky family (later shortened to Werbel) until 1980 when it was sold to Charles Lieber (1921-2016). During its first eighty years, the publishing house grew to become one of the most prominent publishing houses for Jewish books and sheet music.


בסיעתא דארעא